Friday, April 20, 2012

First day of basketball practice

Yesterday the girls had their first basketball practice, when I picked up Gena from my in-laws she was so excited and nervous, she couldn't wait! But when I got Akira from school her attitude shined............she said she doesn't want to do it and that its boring to her if she can only do soccer I being the loving mother said "No you will NOT quit before you even try it! You WILL do it because you refuse to do anything else other than sit on the couch and lounge around all day, you refuse to go running with me and this is the ONLY way I can make sure you do something healthy for your body so NO you WILL do both sports" Yes I'm soooo sweet hahaha, ok listen I'm not trying to be a mean pushy mom but if I keep giving in to them then I'm being a push over, I had to remind her that she quit Karate when it got to hard.....I didn't fight her about it at the time, but now I regret not pushing her to keep doing it I refuse to allow my kids to give up when things get hard, its a lesson that even though your not wanting to do something its best to just keep doing it knowing that in the end you'll learn to become a better person, in this case a sport. I took them to practice and of course Angel was a busy body he made me walk him outside where there was grass, God forbid I got close to the doors he would pull away and scream he didn't want to be inside he walked on the grass (alone) and was laughing up a storm because I would walk away from him and telling him "uhoh get me hurry" I watched some of the practice and they were doing pretty good! I have to admit, Akira is really good at catching the sport, she ALMOST made a basket but at first she was just standing there looking pretty holding her arm......ugh I would do the same! lol but then she got into it.....at the end I asked them what they thought and Gena LOVED it and wants to keep both sports Akira still didn't want to so I told her no you have NO choice your sticking to this because in Jr High you WILL play different sports its nothing like Elementary and I don't want you to not know how to play and if you don't make it to practice I will have your aunt get you I will be here each time since Gena will be here, she said ok, with an attitude but she said ok lol I know I sound mean but there's very little I push my kids on.....I make sure they make healthy choices...I don't allow certain shows to be watched....but with sports I think if we don't push our kids they will grow up to be lazy and unknowing to any sports..I wish my mom would've pushed me!! I don't think I would've been so over weight if she did......I'm not blaming her I'm just wanting to do things differently, I want the kids to have what I wish I could've had or did have...........Ill be supportive no matter what but certain things are not up to them, I don't know many kids especially Akiras age that want to be active lol wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you are being mean. I think you are helping her learn not to quit. I agree with you. HOpefully, she will find what she likes to do soon. There are SO many options out there...maybe a hip hop dance class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way with Jazzy. When she played soccer she liked it in the beginning but then wanted to quit the second season. I told her she had to stay commited to it until it was over. I didn't want to force her to play the sport but I told her she had to find something else she liked in order to stay active. I understand what you are saying. Now for her bday she is getting a gym memebership and she will start working out with me 3-4 days a week. She doesn't want to go to the gym but I had to have a talk with her regarding learning to be healthy. I also told her to think about how great she will feel when she can buy nice cute clothes and look great. So she agreed.

    ReplyDelete